“We are victims of racism. The government must talk about it seriously. We want a solution,” Eko Pilipus Kogoya, one of the migrant students who moved back to Papua, told the Post.In response to the message, Jember Regent Faida said she promised to take care of the Papuan people in her regency.“We promise to protect the bright generation who will develop Papua in the future,” she said in a statement released by the MRP.Last year, racial abuse incidents against Papuan students living in Malang and Surabaya, East Java, triggered widespread and prolonged protests, some turning violent, in Papua and West Papua. Topics : During a meeting about the fate of Papuan migrant students after last year’s racial abuse incidents in East Java, the Papuan People’s Assembly (MRP) asked Jember Regent Faida to ensure the safety of the Papuan students in her regency.MRP chairman Timotius Murib said during the meeting that took place at the office of the special representatives for indigenous Papuans on Jan. 27 he had asked the regent to take care of the Papuan student community currently in Jember.“We left a message [for Faida] to protect the Papuan people, especially the 200 students who are studying in Jember,” he told The Jakarta Post. Timotius said that he relayed the message on behalf of the students’ parents, with the hope that there would be security guarantees for students in Jember.“We communicated the message so that [the students] can be [treated] like the regent’s children, as well as the Forkopimda’s [Regional Leadership Communication Forum] children and the people of Jember’s children,” he said.The meeting with the regent was a follow-up to a discussion with Papuan migrant students the week before, during which the students asked the MRP, the Papuan Regional Legislative Council (DPRD) and the Papua Governor to pay more attention to their future, Timotius said.He said that many Papuan students who were studying in different cities outside the region have returned to Papua because they felt unsafe in their cities of study.
Philippine terminal operator International Container Terminal Services (ICTSI) saw a 5 percent rise in net income reported for the first nine months of the year.Net income attributable to equity holders stood at USD 149.3 million, against USD 141.9 million earned in the same period last year.The increase was ascribed to the continuing ramp-up at the new terminal in Matadi, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), along with strong operating income contribution from the terminals in Iraq, Mexico, Honduras, Brazil and Madagascar, and the one-time gain on the termination of the sub-concession agreement in Lagos, Nigeria.Excluding the one-time gain, consolidated net income attributable to equity holders would have been flat in the first nine months of 2017.The increase in net income was tapered by higher interest and financing charges, higher depreciation and amortization, start-up costs at the company’s terminal in Melbourne Australia and increase in the company’s share in the net loss at Sociedad Puerto Industrial Aguadulce S.A.Start-up costs of the company’s joint venture container terminal project with PSA International Pte in Buenaventura, Colombia, which increased from USD 4.7 million in the first three quarters of 2016 to USD 25.6 million for the same period in 2017 as the company started full commercial operations at the beginning of the year hampered further net income growth as well.Revenue from port operations came at USD 918.3 million, an increase of 10 percent over the USD 835 million reported for the first nine months of 2016.ICTSI handled a consolidated volume of 6,836,611 TEU in the first nine months of 2017, six percent more than in the same period in 2016. The increase in volume was primarily due to continuing improvement in global trade activities, particularly in the emerging markets.
Published on October 14, 2015 at 1:05 am Contact Sam: [email protected] | @Sam4TR At the moment Connor Harris jumped and intercepted the ball, the receiver hit him low and Harris fell on his shoulder. He played a few more snaps, but soon lost feeling in his right arm. What he thought was a cramp turned out to be a separated shoulder. It required season-ending surgery.It was the third game of Harris’ sophomore season for Lindenwood University, a Division II school in St. Charles, Missouri. The Lions were 2-0 and beating a rival school at halftime. After Harris’ injury, the Lions lost the lead and six of its last seven games.For the first time in Harris’ life, injury forced him to the sideline. It was almost a full year until he could play football again.“I thought, ‘Oh man, can I compete at the level I was at?’” Harris said. “’Can I get my strength back? Is this going to affect my future?’”Two years later, Harris has answers. The redshirt junior linebacker leads Division II in tackles with 107 in six games, 17 more than second place. On Oct. 10, before head coach Patrick Ross sat his starters in a lopsided loss, Harris recorded 23 tackles in three quarters. Yet Harris, on pace for 196 tackles this season, didn’t play linebacker before college, turned down a Division I offer and couldn’t work out his right arm for a full year.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“It was unfortunate to get that injury, but it showed me how to lead,” Harris said. “I learned a lot about myself.”Harris prepared as usual following his injury, watching hours of film on Hudl. He relayed reports to his replacement, freshman Clint Koons. Koons led the team in tackles that year.Harris maintained his strict diet of lean meats, chicken breast and fish. He couldn’t use his right shoulder, so he did leg presses, sled pulls, hamstring raises and left arm workouts. Harris’ friend and former Lindenwood slot receiver Chase Stewart remembered Harris’ workouts as painful cycles of adding another 10 pounds each rep followed by only 30-second breathers.“You leave (the gym) needing to hit an ice bath as soon as possible,” Stewart said. “… (That’s why) he looks like a created player in Madden.”The injury was Harris’ second college adjustment. He played safety and quarterback in high school, which is why he didn’t initially attract Football Bowl Subdivision offers, Ross said. Bigger schools had to project where the 6-foot, 240-pounder could play. (Harris told Kansas it was too late when, the day after he committed to Lindenwood, the Jayhawks offered him a scholarship.)Ross, who compares recruiting to darts, saw Harris’ high school state championship game when he scored touchdowns on a pass, rush and pick-six.“This guy was a bullseye,” he said. “I saw him play live one time and he became a must-have.”Harris arrived on campus in 2012 and converted to linebacker. During an intrasquad scrimmage at the end of camp, Stewart caught a screen and turned to run upfield. Harris introduced himself.“Probably the hardest hit of my collegiate career,” Stewart said.Ross and Stewart said Harris is the best football player they’ve ever been around. Ross has coached 10 NFL players. Stewart grew up playing Texas high school football.“Connor’s not the only great player I’ve played with,” Stewart said, “but the diet, nutrition, training and study sets him apart. (You know) what you see on the field and in the stat column? That’s seven days a week.”As Harris’ transition continued at middle linebacker, he became more vocal, acting like the defense’s quarterback — a position he found himself in on the other side of the ball.In Lindenwood’s last game of 2014, Stewart said, the struggling Lions offense put Harris at quarterback to run zone reads. On 11 carries, Harris rushed for 188 yards and four touchdowns — more rushing scores than any other player had all season.“We’re in Division II and he looks like he’s playing a bunch of high schoolers,” Stewart said.Ross doesn’t like to use Harris on offense, preferring to let him focus on defense, where Harris has been the team-leading tackler since he started as a true freshman.But before his 107 tackles this season, he had to make his first with a healed right shoulder. In his return from injury last season, he tensed as he saw the running back coming. He felt doubt.“I wouldn’t say scared of contact, but I was uneasy,” Harris said. “I was expecting pain, but (at the hit) I didn’t feel anything. I thought, ‘Wow. This feels fine.’“So it slipped my mind and I kept playing.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
New Delhi, Mar 10 (PTI) Over Rs 250 crore has been spent on training of bureaucrats in foreign universities during the last ten years, the government said today.Rs 254.55 crore was spent by the government during 2005-15 on training of a total of 2,525 officials abroad, Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions Jitendra Singh said in a written reply in Rajya Sabha. As part of its mandate for capacity building of civil servants, the Department of Personnel and Training implements a scheme of domestic funding for nominated civil servants for training in universities or institutions abroad in thematic areas of public policy, public administration, finance and budget, urban development, health, education, environment policy, etc, he said. During 2014-15, 334 bureaucrats had gone abroad for training and about Rs 50.20 crore was spent by the government. A total of Rs 220.44 crore has been earmarked for training of officers abroad and within the country during the financial year 2016-17. PTI AKV RCJ SK RCJ