The Nigeria Football Federation on Thursday handed out palliatives to representatives of 14 different clubs and two communities in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as token of support in the wake of the novel coronavirus pandemic ravaging the entire world presently.The clubs, spread across Nigeria National League, Nigerian Nationwide League One and FCT League (academies) cadres, included Supreme Court FC, EFCC FC, Abuja Female United, FOSLA FC, Bimo Sporting Club, Wazobia FC, Setraco FC, Goodland FC, Fire Service FC, NYSC FC, FWC Champion Club, Abees Academy, Casmat Academy and WACO Academy. Garki Village and Karamajiji communities also benefitted from the package.At the presentation of packed items such as rice, beans, Indomie noodles, groundnut oil and tin tomatoes at the football body’s headquarters inside the MKO Abiola National Stadium, NFF General Secretary, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi, clarified that the palliatives were the initiatives of the NFF as its own relief to a number of stakeholder-clubs and not procured from the $500,000 that world body, FIFA, has promised to send to each of its Member Associations.Sanusi said: “This package is the initiative of the NFF to, in its little way, support some stakeholder-clubs and communities within the FCT as a result of the COVID-19.“This did not come from the money that FIFA is sending to NFF and its Member Associations.“When that money comes, it will come with clear instructions on how it should be spent, though we have already got the hint that it will be principally on operations of the Federation. “We want to praise the Federal Government for the excellent job it has been doing to test, detect, isolate and treat those found to have the virus since this pandemic started months ago.“Our appreciation also goes to the Federal Ministry of Health and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.“We also commend all the first responders and those on the frontline.“These are indeed difficult times but we pray and are assured that Almighty God will take us safely through this challenging period.”Dr. Sanusi also appealed to representatives of the clubs, media representatives, NFF staff and other stakeholders present to continue to adhere to the precautionary measures as rolled out by the Federal Ministry of Health, the World Health Organization and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control in order to avoid unsavoury experience of contacting the virus. He said: “Please always endeavour to wash your hands regularly with soap and water, use hand sanitizers generously, make wearing of face masks a habit and keep social distancing.”The NFF 2nd Vice President, Mallam Shehu Dikko, and Sanusi made the presentations.Earlier in the week, the NFF gave out face masks, latex hand gloves and sanitizers to some communities in Kano State.On Monday, the nation’s football-governing body will distribute more face masks, latex gloves and sanitizers in Lagos State and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.RelatedPosts Italy introduces compulsory virus testing for travellers from France Nigeria records new COVID-19 infections, more deaths as figures rise to 57,242 I was in best of forms before Tokyo Paralympics was postponed — Powerlifter Ejike Tags: CoronavirusGarki VillageGoodland FCNFF
As I gear up for a trip to Salt Lake City to cover USC’s matchup against the Utes, I can’t help but have an overwhelming feeling of foreboding. I can easily see this game being a combination of two of my least favorite aspects of sports: blowouts and injuries. The loss of senior linebacker Porter Gustin and the possibility of not having senior linebacker Cameron Smith, both due to injury, are not only a significant loss from both a leadership and talent perspective, but also an injustice to the game of football. Both players are captains who have a magnificent knowledge of the game and have aided some of the younger guys on the squad. They have been one of the primary reasons USC’s defense is so solid, not to mention the fact that Gustin has seven sacks, while the rest of the team combined have six. Moreover, USC’s defense has kept the team in countless games this season. USC could have beaten Stanford if the offense managed to score points; Arizona could have been a loss if the Trojans didn’t make several key defensive stops and Washington State was a field goal away from handing the Trojans a key Pac-12 defeat. The offense is very fortunate to have a defense that busts its butts to keep the team in the game. From the other side: If you are Utah, do you want to beat a Trojan team missing two of its best players? No. Sports fans should want to see the best competition from both sides go head-to-head and battle it out to claim the top of the Pac-12 South, but unfortunately I don’t think we are going to see that this weekend. The lack of key defensive players this week will most likely lead to USC’s demise.I’ve said this in many columns this year: The USC offense has the talent; it just needs to pull it all together. The Trojans need to get the running and passing game going at the same time. The offense looked extremely dominant in the first half against Colorado; several deep passes from freshman quarterback JT Daniels reconciled his early turnover troubles and led to a 21-point half. However, many people overlook the fact that USC posted a fat zero in the rushing yards column in the first 30 minutes. That cannot happen, especially not when a team has a trio of running backs who have shown they know how to be dominant.Doubling down, Utah is second in defensive rankings, allowing an average of just 74.8 rushing yards per game. Fortunately for USC, Daniels and his wide receivers should be able to find some long gains on deep passes against the Utes. Regardless, the one dimensional offensive approach will likely not be enough to best Utah, especially in Salt Lake City.I am not blaming the offense but commending the defense. The offense is young and inexperienced; consistency shouldn’t be expected. But if the Trojans want to win this weekend, they will have to pull something together. If the Trojans want to hold a close matchup in this game, the offense needs to figure it out now. I would love to see a shootout. I would love to see the Trojans and the Utes take turns demonstrating fantastic offensive drives, but right now I don’t see that happening. With USC’s losses, it doesn’t look like the defense will be able to hold the incohesive offense in the game. That is why I’m projecting a blowout in favor of the Utes. This game is crucial in determining the remainder of the season. USC is likely to run the table in its final Pac-12 games, even without Gustin. In the remaining games, there is no conference competition that should scare USC. A win in Utah will almost certainly allow USC to clinch a spot in the Pac-12 Championship Game. As head coach Clay Helton always says, “USC can control its own destiny.” Sam Arslanian is a sophomore majoring in journalism. He is also the sports editor of the Daily Trojan. His column, “Extra Innings,” runs Fridays.
Former Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes has accepted an offer to join Manchester United.The Spain international, who has been training with United in his bid to recover from a serious knee injury, has agreed an 18-month contract.Valdes, 32, won six La Liga and three Champions League titles with Barcelona, before leaving at the end of last season when his contract expired.The deal could lead to reserve keeper Anders Lindegaard leaving Old Trafford.It also poses a question about the future of 24-year-old first-choice goalkeeper David De Gea, who was the club’s player of the year last season and has excelled again this term.His contract is due to expire in 2016, although senior United sources have previously said they were relaxed about him signing an extension to that deal. Before last season started, Valdes confirmed that it would be his final one at the Nou Camp, although his campaign ended in March when he tore his anterior cruciate ligament, an injury that kept him out of the World Cup.Manchester United are third in the Premier League, nine points behind joint leaders Chelsea and Manchester City.De Gea has played in every match for United this season, but conceded four in the League Cup defeat at MK Dons in August and five in thePremier League loss to Leicester on 21 September.However, the defensive record has improved in the last few months with the club only letting in seven goals in their last 13 matches in all competitions.Denmark international Lindegaard, 30, arrived at Old Trafford in a £3.5m deal in January 2011, but has only made 19 Premier League appearances. The other two goalkeeping options are 21-year-old Sam Johnstone, who is on loan at Doncaster, and 24-year-old Ben Amos, who was criticised by United boss Louis van Gaal for letting in Miralem Pjanic’s 60-yard lob against Roma in pre-season.